Friday, December 9, 2011

Sorry Starbucks!

I recently bought a new "go" cup at Starbucks, as I needed a certain shape (not flared at the bottom) to fit in my car's cup holder.  I wanted a deeper cup than I already owned, and Starbucks had one that I liked, and I liked the picture/design on the cup.  It was not cheap, even with the free first cup of joe.   But I read the advertisement on the bottom, and the cup was Made in America, and of recycled materials!  I've been trying to buy more and more products made in America as we need all the help we can get to get this economy on the mend, and jobs back to our fellow citizens.  And I try to recycle as much as I can. 

Well, the cup had a design flaw, in my opinion.   The lid, when "flipped back and locked in place" would hit me in the nose when I tried to drink out of the cup.   I cannot adequately explain the problem, but it just would not work for me.  So I returned the cup.  BUT, they had yet another cup, even deeper, with a better designed lid!  I was now excited and forgiving at the same time. 

Then I looked at the bottom of the cup for the obligatory information including price.  The cup was the same price, but made in China.  I did not buy the cup.  Think about it, same company, bigger cup (okay that may have made  a small difference in cost-per-cup to the American company), different design which was okay, said nothing about being recycled (which again can be a cost deterrent), and the price which was about 3 times what you would pay for a similar cup at the gas station.   

I'll pay a little more for something made in the USA.  

No comments:

Post a Comment