Friday, March 2, 2012

Retractions and corrections...

If you've read my previous posts, you know I said nothing eats a skunk. Well, skunks are everywhere these days, dead on the road. And for the most part, they just seem to disintegrate, rather than be torn apart by a carrion eater. That being said, I did see a group of crows gathered around a dead skunk. I wonder if they were just curious, or if they actually took a couple bites. They will eat other dead animals. Maybe it was mom and the kids, and she was showing them what to avoid!

I also said, in an earlier post that I saw some turkeys eating on a dead deer. At another deer carcass, I noticed what I thought were the same type of birds. Turned out they were not turkeys, but black vultures. We have two types of vultures in SW Missouri, turkey and black. The turkey vultures are bigger, and uglier, and they migrate, whereas the black vultures stick around, or at least that's my best guess, and I'm sticking to it!.

No comments:

Post a Comment