Friday, May 21, 2010

How to lose weight...

I stopped at a friend's house the other day, and she was out on her riding lawn mower.    We visited for a while, and she went back to mowing, and I went home.  Later in the day I got an e-mail from her about an event she was going to,  and she was bemoaning the fact that she wished she could lose the extra 40 or 50 pounds she was carrying.   

The next day, as I was mowing my lawn, with a "push mower" and NOT self-propelled, I thought THIS is how she should have, could have, mowed her yard.  Takes a little longer, and if it's hot you may want to take refreshment breaks often, and perhaps take more than one day to mow.  But it's excercise that you don't have to leave home for.  No payments to the health club.  Wear anything you please.  Stop and go as you wish.   Do it at any time you wish.  No appointment necessary.

Now the disclaimer... I admit I use a push mower because I cannot afford a riding mower!

1 comment:

  1. You must be insane to push a mower around in the summer.

    When I was a kid we had an old push mower whose rusted blades got stuck a lot but we loved it. We were too young to push the gas mower but we could strain to slice paths and mazes through the tall grass of the back yard. We played our own variety of tag where you had to stay on the trails (couldn't jump over the taller grass).

    ReplyDelete