Monday, April 26, 2010

They're back!!!

Yes, I started bird watching, in some earnest, a few years back, and when the Cornell Bird Watch started, I became more interested.   I keep out 4 seed feeders and 4 suet feeders at any given time. I also keep at least 2 hummingbird feeders out.   I bought Audubon's Field Guide so I could identify the birds that I did not recognize at the feeder.  I mean everyone probably knows what a goldfinch or a cardinal look like, but there are quite a few different types of sparrows, and some of those sparrows are wrens, NOT sparrows at all. 

Then a couple years ago I had my first Rose Breasted Grosbeak!  The following year I had a couple more, and then I had quite a few.  And I also had a different kind of grosbeak, a Blackheaded Grosbeak.  And then a Baltimore Oriole!!!   They don't stay long, but now that they've found my lttle "layover" they come back every year.

The hummingbirds are back too.  They came back on April 20 to our house  hat's the earliest I've ever known them to show up.  I used to wait until Memorial Day, but was told they show up earlier, and the experts were right!

So, disregarding the last post, life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment