Monday, August 1, 2011

When the new becomes the old becomes the new...

Is that confusing enough?  I say this because I like to haunt antique shops and flea markets.  I've been doing this for a few years now and I've seen a change in merchandise that's interesting, and confusing, to me.

I have been seeing items that are identical to things I've bought, or have been given as gifts, etc, years ago.  They're not "old" by antique standards (100 years or more?), but they're probably from the 70s, and perhaps early 80s.  Mostly dishes and glasssware. 

This got me to wondering...what's the "shelf life" of  a household item.  If I've kept it for 20 years, is it time to replace it, regardless of how good or useful  it may still be?  Should it be replaced with something "newer" just because it is newer?

 Have the owners of these items finally decided enough is enough, and they must go?  Or have the owners reached the ends of their lives, and the heirs are getting rid of these things because they have no sentimental attachment?

So there's my claim  that my (once) new stuff is now my old stuff, which is going to be someone else's new stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment