Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hill Billy Can Crusher!

I've been living out in the sticks far too long!

We, or rather I, collect aluminum cans because we can recycle them and get real money for our efforts.  The cans take up a lot of room unless they're crushed, and I wanted to max out what I could carry in the car to the recycling center.   I've been wanting to get a can crusher, but the few places around here that sold them, have since discontinued that item.

Then I went to a flea market two weeks ago, and saw one there, brand new, in the original box, for the sum total of $7.00 and DID NOT BUY IT!!!  (Duh!)  I had my eye, and money  focused on other stuff.  I did go on-line to see what I could find, and that $7.00 was cheap!!!  If I see it again, I'm grabbing it.  But in the mean time I did the next best thing...used the car to crush them on the driveway!    So of course this means...PICTURES!!!
I use bags that I get my sunflower seed in.  They're a woven, plasticized material, and quite sturdy.  This bag was very full, and even had some cans tin it that had already been crushed.
Then I spread the cans out on the ground behind the car.  I tried leaving them in the bag, but the car just pushed the bag around, and the cans did not get crushed.  Another better idea would be to try to put them in the paths of the wheels. 
After going back and forth about 4-6 times, this is what was left.  The few cans I missed, got crushed underfoot.  I did worry a bit about the aluminum cutting into a tire, but the metal is so soft, I figured I'd just chance it.  So far so good.  Notice the dog, in the upper right hand corner, staying cool.  She was no help during this at all.
This is how "full" the bag was after the cans were crushed and put back in.,  Lotsa room left!
Just another view, with the bag folded over, so you can see how much space was saved. 

I guess I could figure out that if I get 25 MPG in the car, and go less than l/8th mile, and gas today around here is $3.62/gallon...how many times could I do this and save that $7.00 cost of the crusher???

 Maybe I'm overthinking this whole thing! 











1 comment:

  1. I loved collecting cans years ago but eventually the price of aluminum made it hardly worth while. I imagine that with the price of all other metals, aluminum is at a premium now, right?

    ReplyDelete