Monday, July 18, 2011

The buzzards were circling...

...while I was mowing the front pasture.  I had heard from other people that when a farmer is out haying, the vultures and hawks like to follow the tractor around to see what sort of varmints they'll scare up.  I can attest that on some occasions I have seen mice, rats, turtles, and a black rat snake.  The snake and turtles I relocated.  The rodents can fend for themselves.  Sometimes the dog followed me so she could get them, but it's been too hot for her to get excited about it.

Speaking of hot, it's also very dry.  We haven't had a good soaking rain in weeks or perhaps even a couple months?  I was talking to a friend of mine in Austin, Texas bemoaning the fact that it was so hot and dry.  While his temperatures were not that much above mine, he did say that they haven't had rain since last November, so that kinda shut me up!

The upside of my mowing was that the pasture looks nice and clean, and neat.  The downside is that the grass is very dry and if I put the horses back in there, I'll have an erosion problem if they pull it up by the roots and eat it.  Their own, other pasture, looks okay for now, but I didn't mow it totally before I moved them there.

At least I can say the buzzards were not circling for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment