Monday, January 9, 2012

Best suet feeder ever!

I put out suet year-round for the birds.  The woodpeckers love it, but I also see cardinals, chickadees, nuthatches, gold finch and a few others eating there.

I bought my first suet feeder a few years ago at Lowe's.  Loved it because it was so easy to use, somewhat sheltered the suet, and held two blocks easily.  Here's the first one I bought.
I have it hanging on a kind of shepherd's hook, in the fence row.   The top lifts up on the "strings" and you can slide the cakes into the holders.  Birds can eat on either side, at the same time,  and they usually do.  The woodpeckers are a bit more territorial than the other birds, so they spend time chasing other woodpeckers from the far side.

This is the new, improved (?) feeder that I found this year.  Also from Lowe's.
The only difference is that the "roof" is a bit more classy, and the string that the roof slides up and down on, is now some sort of heavy duty vinyl.  It's a slightly different color only because it hasn't weathered.

As far as I know, Lowe's is the only place where I've ever been able to find this particular type of suet feeder.  And they didn't carry them for a couple years, or at least I never found them (maybe sold out?)  The very best part of this is that they are American Made!!!  In Ohio, for Cedar Works LLC. 

I've looked at a lot of suet feeders, even tried another, and this is by far, the best!  Easy to use, not messy, birds seem to take to it easily, and it seems to be tough, as last winter we kept getting attacked by a raccoon, or opossum, or very handy squirrel who would take entire cakes out of the feeder and make off with them on a nightly basis.  I did stop this by hiding the feeders at night.  This year...no problems...yet...

Help the birds, help your fellow American, BUY THIS FEEDER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment