Monday, January 9, 2012

Got a colonoscopy!

What fun!!!   I actually never felt a thing!!!

So let me start from the beginning.  I went to the doctor for a routine check, and she suggested a colonoscopy.    I know the hype is all about getting one when you pass a certain age, but since I'm never sick, except for an occasional cold, I didn't want to be the one to suggest such a thing.  Since she suggested it first, I thought I'd go for it.

An appointment was made, and she said I would be hearing from my doctor about some medicine I was to take before hand, for best results, etc.etc.  I got the call from the physician's office, and went to the pharmacy to pick up...a gallon jug, and some powder to put in it.    The pharmacist told me that if I didn't like the taste, I could put in some "flavoring" such as Crystal Light.  Fortunately the pharmacy also included some flavoring.

I was to mix the "special powder" with water, shake well, chill, and drink half (in 15 minute intervals) the night before the procedure, and do the same with the remaining the morning of the procedure.   I have to say that the taste was not bad.  The flavoring made no difference.  But I am not a water drinker, and downing a half gallon in 15 minute intervals was a chore in itself.  Along with this, I also had to FAST (okay I could drink clear liquids, and chicken or beef broth) the entire day before the procedure.  I had a diet soda, two cups of tea, and that was it.    I did make lasagna the day before and so I thought about the leftovers AFTER the procedure!

You'd be surprised at how many food ads are on TV, and how many fast food places you pass, when you're out driving around, and how many places you might go in,  have little candy dishes awaiting you at their counters.

So back to drinking the potion.  I knew I wouldn't be leaving the house once I got started, and I didn't.  I took a book into the bathroom, and just sat.   Except for getting up every 15 minutes for another glassfull, I stayed there for about 2 hours total.    The next morning went a bit better.

As for the procedure, I remember watching my blood pressure going up on the monitor as my apprehension rose about the procedure, and that was it.  Next thing I knew, I was talking to Dennis and the nurse who asked me what I wanted to drink.  I chose coffee!  And I got a fig newton.  I had visions of lasagna on my mind!

Then after all the post-operative instructions we went home.  Dennis went to work.  I watched Steve Wilkos, took a nap, and then went out to the library (even though I was "to be watched the rest of the day" and NOT drive!)  The best part?  I found a new book by Carl Hiaasen that I had not read yet.  He snuck one under my radar!  And I finished off the lasgna!

Bottom line?  The prep is far worst than the act.





No comments:

Post a Comment