Saturday, January 7, 2012

"...my friends all have Porsches, I must make amends..."

Remember that old Janis Joplin song?  Only in this neighborhood, all my "friends" (neighbors) have tractors!  So they can mow their little patches of lawn, while I walk behind my DR Trimmer-Mower (it's like a lawn-mower on steroids.)

I admit I've been yearning for an "estate-size" or "commercial" (think golf courses) lawn mower, but they don't give them away.  In all truth it might be cheaper to get a small tractor and brush-hog, but I want to get around the trees, rather than  just mow them down, and up and down the hills "safely" rather than turning the tractor over on myself.

But I digress...today as I was out in the pasture I noticed that the fellow who lives behind me had a humongous tractor sitting in his yard  Think great big John Deere, or Case, or Massey Ferguson.  Don't know what it was, BUT, he only has 3 acres, or 5 at the most (we have 20 acres.)  And they're relatively flat, and he has no trees!  Maybe he's taking to putting in septic tanks on the side.

I thought I'd be doing good to get that zero-turn mower that I've got in my sights, but I may have to mortgage the farm to keep up!  Some of those big jobs cost as much as my house! 

Oh well, let him drive the Porsche, while I make do with my Honda (or perhaps pedal car is a better analogy.)  We all get the same results, even if mine take longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment