Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Killing Field

It happened again.  A trail of Blue Jay feathers outside my back door.  This is probably the third time I've found this phenomenon.  Score "plus one" for the hawk, and "minus one" for the Blue Jay.  I've never actually seen it, just the aftermath.

I believe it to be a hawk, as I've seen them swooping around the back of the house, upon occasion.  One nearly ran into my forehead as I was coming around the corner to go inside after work.  Flew so fast I couldn't even begin to tell you what type of hawk!

We get sooooo many birds at our feeders, from three varieties of woodpeckers, to every type of local sparrow.  The Blue Jays, not so much.  And as this goes on, they're becoming less and less.  Wonder what the attraction is.  Are they too "blue" for the hawk?  Although I must say, I have Indigo Buntings (not truely blue) and Bluebirds in abundance.  Are they too cocky in their demeanor?  Do they not heed the warnings the other birds give out when they spy a hawk?

I also wonder what's happening at the nest of the Blue jays?  If indeed there is a nest.  Or was a nest. 

As my "forest" behind the house changes with trees growing, trees falling, vegetation changing, so the bird dynamics change also.  Every day brings renewed insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment