Thursday, June 2, 2011

Pasture management...part 3a (therefore...)

I finally got up the nerve to look over the pasture I mowed a few weeks back.    I must say that it looks amazing.  The area of blackberries is coming back, and so I'll have to knock them down again to insure getting rid of them once and for all, but the other areas...yowza!  Of course the horses haven't been allowed up there yet, but the wild flowers, the clover, and most important, the milk weed is tremendous!  I will be taking pictures of the butterflies all over them, for identification, but more for posterity.    Some of them are becoming endangered due to loss of habitat and chemicals that everyone wants to use to excess on their precious grass and flowers.

But this was a short trip, because I forgot a few things.  They are listed, in no particular order:

1. Mosquitos are out all during the day, not just early morning and late evening.  Therefore I must have bug spray on.
2. Poison ivy is also everywhere and growing taller than me.  Therefore I must put on long sleeves and/or ivy block to avoid a second round of it.
3. No matter what socks I wear with my boots, they will slide down and I will be walking out of them, inside the boots.  Therefore I need to wear tighter fitting socks and/or tennis socks, which should stay up.
4.  It's hot outside, no matter what time of the day.  There may be a breeze, but unless you're in the shade, that breeze doesn't mean anything.   You will sweat, even if you're just going for a walk.  Therefore if you're going to do something later, come back in early enough to give yourself time to shower.
5. Ticks are out all day long too.  As of this writing I've pulled three off me.   They're not as common in the grassy areas, but I have to walk through some tall bushy areas before I get to the back pasture. Therefore I must remember bug spray to eliminate that problem too.  (I pulled #4 off when I found him in the shower!)

But the pasture looked amazing!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment