Monday, June 6, 2011

The laundry

Yes, one of those mundane projects that gets addressed too infrequently around here.  And so I probably should not complain when I'm not the one doing it, but still, is it not the wife's place to nag now and then?

I say this because I know when I was a kid, I was taught how to do laundry "properly."  You put delicates in with the same (think fancy underwear, of which I had none.)  You put dark clothes with dark,  and whites with white.  Those were the days when clothes dye was not stable  and red shirts were notorious for fading on to everything else (remember's Dad's pink "tighty whities?")  Bleach was only used for white clothes, and never put in before all the wash water was in, so as to be diluted immediately.   Nowadays those problems have been eliminated.  Except for the bleach.  But there is more stable bleach that can be used for "colored clothes."

The problem I am facing, is that hubby washes by the layer method.  He puts in whatever is in the "first layer" of clothing until the washer looks full, and then proceeds to wash it.  Sock, towels, underwear, jeans...all go in at the same time.    Then when they're in the dryer, the next layer down goes in to the wash machine.  And so forth and so on.

As far as the dryer is concerned, when that load is finished, it gets piled on top of the dryer, while the next load goes in.  And the third layer of clothes is now washing.  Did you miss the "folding" part?  It's virtually nonexistant.  Especially when it comes to "fitted sheets," which I learned from Martha Stewart, I WAS folding correctly.

Well, I guess I DO contribute to the wash cycle, as I'm the official folder.  I'd just prefer to do it as the laundry came out of the dryer, and not pull from the pile on top of the dryer!   I guess it's all a matter of timing!



No comments:

Post a Comment