Thursday, April 21, 2011

Almost blitzed a boxer today...

I was going down a curvy, hilly road at about 45-50 MPH when I came around a curve and there was a boxer casually crossing the road.  I slammed on my brakes and hit the horn at the same time.  Crisis averted.  The dog looked at me like he didn't have a care in the world.  Meanwhile, I was silently cursing his owners.

When you live in the country do you just think that the dogs will become street smart?  Or do you blame their demise on the highway as a fact of life because "he was a purebred, and you know how dumb they are"?  I'm not saying the boxer is dumb; it could have been any breed of dog, although some breeds do seem smarter, or more trainable than others. 

What do you tell your children when their pet is road kill?  Do you shrug?  Do you just go out and get another pet?  Is that pet in the same amount of danger as the previous one?  Who's truly responsible for that boxer?  Living in the country does not disavow you from common sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment