Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Pasture management...part 1

...kinda sorta.  I may have mentioned that I mow our pastures with a DR Mower, and I was trying to keep ahead of the blackberry bushes/vines/stems...whatever they're called.  I know they feed a lot of wildlife, including our beloved box turtles, BUT we have 20 acres, and I think there are enough blackberries in places I can't get to, that the box turtles, etc will NOT go hungry!

Enough about that.  You know I love the DR!  therefore I've included some before and after pictures of the blackberry bramble I took down!  It was probably 50 feet square.  The blackberries were over 5 feet high.  Note the large cedar tree, for reference, in the "before" picture.

After mowing.  Again, see the cedar tree for reference.
The few trees you see sticking up are just that, trees.  Is that cool or what?    The DR is one great machine.   But I caution anyone doing this, again, wear ear plugs, and long sleeves, and gloves as these long, curving stems BITE HARD when they whip back on you!  Now on to the grassy part of the pasture...

No comments:

Post a Comment