Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Pasture management...part 2

Our dog, Elaine, loves to go out when I'm mowing.    She likes to run down the furrows looking for little animals trying to get away from the mower, like mice, rats, rabbits.  Unfortunately they just run from one hiding place to another, until the patches of unmowed areas get smaller and smaller.    I usually see some, but by that time Elaine has given up hope.  

This is her going down one of the paths I've made.
I kept mowing from this path to the fenceline.  Another nice chunk of pasture out of the way.
Now I could keep it looking like this all summer, in record time too!   (This took me two hours, including the blackberry bramble.)  If I had one of those nifty "estate" mowers, like the Dixon that I've been eyeing...!    I don't need to win the entire lottery, just about $10,000 for the mower.   Or the Dixon people could take pity on me and loan me one for the summer?  Or I'd even take a Scag mower.   You know they brag those things can mow 8 acres, or more,  in just a few hours??!!!  AND you can RIDE on them!!!  (Did I mention you "walk behind" the DR???)

No comments:

Post a Comment